• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

exhausted

Mercc96

Bluelighter
A friend of mine wished me to post this up ( his typing, copied and pasted etc)

I had played rugby since age 6 up until about the last stages of 2009 in which I started to experience horrific pain in the backs of both of my leg, the years previous I had already had knee pains for a couple of months but they were just brushed off as "water beneath the knee or something". Throughout 2010 I was unable to play rugby or really do any sports or to that matter walk at the same pace as my peers, walk for a long time , walk up any sort of incline. Without the familiar burning/electronic throbbing pain in the backs of my legs. This continued through 2010 and into 2011. During the last parts of December and the start of the new year I started experiencing a weird vibrating in the top of my head , which was diagnosed as a tension headache. For that I was prescribed amitriptyline and ibuprofen(was replaced with naproxen because it didn't work) until February in which I was in a road traffic accident (knocked by a car whilst i was riding my moped) . The accident itself was not terribly major, I got very bad bruising ( or internal) on both my legs, whiplash and was thought to have severed a ligament in my left leg. I was put on 50mg diclofenac 3 times a day plus 1-100mg Tramadol 3 times a day (which was upped to 2-100mg) and diazepam to help me get to sleep (which it did not, I felt nothing) so I used a friends .5mg Clonazepam twice to see if it would help. It did a little but not much. Now I've run out/stopped taking all my medication as I was told to taper off, and the pain is just as bad if not worse.

I don't have much love or trust of my doctors, and know a lot of you are quite apt in the fields of relieving pain and what to do etc. May I just have an odd body type as I am totally tolerant to codeine and tramadol (plus all the regular painkillers like paracetamol) and don't respond much to valium. Could I have damaged my nerves during the year and a half that my shin splints were not treated?

homeless--------------------->Healthy Living

Some chronic pain situations respond to epilepsy drugs but that will take working with a Doctor.
Tens really works for some people. Acupressure, acupuncture, osteopathic manipulation, chiropractic, are ideas that are stuff I might try if traditional medicine was getting me any relief.

I wouldn't even know how to guess about the possibility that nerve damage is involved. You'll want to read up on neuropathy if that is your main suspicion of whats going on.

If prescribed pharmaceuticals aren't working (and this maybe a good thing, considering all the shit that comes with those drugs), like Enki said, you might want to look into acupuncture or chiroparctics...

If that doesn't do anything, perhaps this is a mental thing? I don't know anything about your situation, but I think most of us have heard these stories about people creating health problems in their own mind, and they manifest into actual problems.

Other than that, find another doctor for a second/third opinion?

Firstly let me say I have no orthopaedic knowledge whatsoever but it does sort of sound to me like your friend has a few problems that seem to relate to some muscular imbalances.

Possibly if you can find a good kinesiologist I have some friends that have had great results with getting some of their posture and muscular imbalances corrected.

go back to your doctor and keep going back in could be you need remedial work for the legs as well. The headaches could be brought on by the stress you are feeling over the situation you are in, but worth talking to your doctor and seeing if there is someone you can talk to about it.

TENS is a great way of relieving pain. never had any luck with accupuncture though, but thats just me.

Try mixing clove oil with rosemary oil the pain relief from clove oil is pretty strong(used for dental pain) and rosemary has an antispasmodic effect. I use that with dancers who tend to get cramps and spasms in legs as well as other athletes, never worked with someone playing rugby though.

Tramadol works great for me, so can only suggest going back to the doctor for something else. Be precise about the pain you feel, where you feel and when you find it hurts more, does it hurt more in the morning, or is it only after walking etc. Write it all down so you make sure you cover everything you want to say and don't leave forgetting something that could make a difference to your treatment.
good luck